* Joan Kaufman was elected president-elect of the ASID-IL Chapter for the 2008-09 fiscal year. She will serve as president of the association for 2009-10. Kaufman has been an active member in the organization since 1988. Kaufman, a resident of Naperville, IL, is president of Interior Planning and Design, Inc., a firm she founded in 1990.
* Marvin J. Malecha was inaugurated as the 85th president of the American Institute of Architects succeeding Marshall E. Purnell and representing more than 84,000 AIA members in the coming year. Malecha is the dean of the College of Design at North Carolina State University and has served as AIA first vice president this past year.
* Sherida Paulsen assumed the presidency of AIA NY on December 11. The inaugural took place at the Center for Architecture and featured a symbolic “passing of the gavel” from outgoing President, James McCullar, followed by the Center’s annual holiday party. . Paulsen is a partner at PKSB, New York, and has, among her award winning projects, the Cooper Union, Hunter College of CUNY, New York Presbyterian Hospital, NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development, and the City of Bay City, MI. She also served as Commissioner on the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission from 1995 – 2004, and as its Chair from 2001 – 2003.
* The HON Company announced organizational changes in its sales and marketing divisions. Ric Andersen was named vice president, sales, and Shelley deSilva is the new vice president, marketing. Anderson was previously vice president, sales at the Gunlocke Company. deSilva joined The HON Company in 1992 and has held a number of positions, including west central region sales director, sales operations manager and national account manager.
* Elena Peltsman joined RSP Architects, Minneapolis, MN, as an Associate. Prior to joining RSP, Ms. Peltsman was a partner at ATS&R Architects, Planners and Engineers, where she was lead designer, project architect and project manager since 1993.
* Perkins+Will added seven to its Minneapolis office. Anita Barnett was hired as Principal for the Corporate + Commercial + Civic Market, and John Stark was named Sr. Project architect. Susanna Strand was appointed Project Architect and Allie Trachsel and Desi Creswell joined the firm as Interior Designers. Alyssa Ludwig and Lindsey Nelson also were hired as Interiors Interns and Erich zumBrunnen as Architect.
* Shaw Hospitality Group expanded its sales force. Sixteen representatives throughout the US and Canada joined the firm in 2008 to better serve the hospitality flooring industry. The new sales representatives are:
- Carole Boyajian: Los Angeles to Santa Barbara, CA
- Jennifer Kriech: San Diego, Orange County and Palm Springs, CA
- Carol Reynolds: Las Vegas, NV
- Chris Fleming: Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga, TN
- Steve Gottbreht, MI
- Dickinson Contract Marketing Group, consisting of Jay and Nancy Dickinson, Jon Dickinson and Ginny and Warren Dorn: OH, KY, IN, and western PA
- Angela McAllister: CO
- Dann Baker: Portland, OR
- Diane Berg: AZ
- Michelle Masters: KS, and southwestern MO
- Nate Jones: Los Angeles, CA
- Julie Bruce: Dallas, TX